Cataracts are a clouding of the lens, which should normally be clear. Other causes of cataracts include congenital cataracts, deep myopia, diabetes and other factors. Most cataracts are related to ageing and cause blurred or impaired vision. Without treatment or cataract surgery, patients may experience complications such as glaucoma or permanent loss of vision.
Qualified ophthalmologists perform cataract surgery from our HK clinics at a competitive price. The treatment is an effective solution for the successful restoration of vision.
During cataract surgery, the surgeon will administer anaesthetics to numb the area before making a careful incision to remove the clouded lens. Afterwards, they will replace it with an artificial intraocular lens that restores your vision. Cataract surgery is a common and quick procedure, making it the choice of many in Hong Kong suffering from the condition.
- Blurred vision
- Glare from lights
- Sensitivity to lights
- Difficulty reading
- Faded colours
- Frequent change in prescription of glasses
In the later stage, severe visual impairment will occur, and even only the light-sensitive ability will remain.
Therefore, once the initial cataract symptoms are found, cataract examinations must be arranged as soon as possible to prevent the situation from getting worse.
Surgery is currently the only treatment for cataracts. After the patient has removed the old lens, it needs to be replaced by a single or multifocal intraocular lens.
Those suffering from cataracts can get their surgery done at our clinics in Hong Kong, where our ophthalmologists have years of experience carrying out the procedure.
Cataract surgery involves two major steps:
Under the microscope, the doctor will first emulsify the turbid crystalline lens into fine pieces by using an ultrasonic emulsification system and then suck them out. During the next stage of cataract surgery, the doctor will inject a suitable folded intraocular lens with a syringe and fix it into the eyeball. The whole procedure is performed at our premises in HK.
- Makes 2-3 tiny incisions (cuts) in your cornea, then a small surgical instrument is inserted into the eye. A special ultrasound device is used to break the cataract into small pieces and suck them out of your eye.
- Inserts a folded intraocular lens (IOL) inside the lens capsule to replace your own lens
- The procedure is completed after the position IOL lens is confirmed
Femtosecond Laser Cataract Treatment
During surgery, the Laser will be used to replace ultrasound in removing cataracts to avoid damage of the corneal endothelial cells. With a 3D eye diagram, the details of the eyes can be clearly seen to increase the safety and accuracy of the operation.
- Ophthalmologists use a laser to cut a circular incision accurately in the crystal centre of the central position, to open the skin of the outer capsule and it's being used to hold the position of the lens.
- Cut the lens into a specific size using the femtosecond laser.
- Use ultrasonic and straw to remove the turbid crystals, and then implant intraocular lens.