There are many causes of cataracts. The common cause is aging, the lens will become cloudy and form cataracts. Other causes of cataracts include congenital cataracts, deep myopia, diabetes and other factors. When cataracts progress to a more severe stage, patients may experience complications such as glaucoma. Therefore, cataracts should never be removed until they are "done".
Surgery is currently the only treatment for cataracts. After the patient has removed the old lens, it needs to be replaced by a single or multifocal intraocular lens.
- Blurred vission
- Glare from lights
- Sensitivity to lights
- Difficulty reading
- Faded colors
- Frequent change in prescription of glasses
In the later stage, severe visual impairment will occur, and even only the light-sensitive ability will remain.
Therefore, once the initial cataract symptoms are found, cataract examinations must be arranged as soon as possible to prevent the situation from getting worse.
Under the microscope, the doctor will first emulsify the turbid crystalline lens into fine pieces by using an ultrasonic emulsification system, and then suck them out. During the next stage of cataract surgery, the doctor will inject a suitable folded intraocular lens with a syringe and fix it into the eyeball.
- Makes 2-3 tiny incisions (cuts) in your cornea, then a small surgical instrument is inserted into the eye. A special ultrasound device is used to break the cataract into small pieces and suck them out of your eye.
- Inserts a folded intraocular lens (IOL) inside the lens capsule to replace your own lens
- The procedure is completed after the position IOL lens is confirmed
Femtosecond Laser Cataract Treatment
During surgery, the Laser will be used to replace ultrasound in removing cataracts, to avoid damage of the corneal endothelial cells. With a 3D eye diagram, the details of the eyes can be clearly seen to increase the safety and accuracy of the operation.
- Ophthalmologists use a laser to cut a circular incision accurately in the crystal center of the central position, to open the skin of the outer capsule and it's being used to hold the position of the lens.
- Cut the lens into a specific size using the femtosecond laser.
- Use ultrasonic and straw to remove the turbid crystals, and then implant intraocular lens.